Our History 2018-05-06T14:12:02+00:00

 OUR HISTORY… 

The Thirsty Goat may be the newest kid on the block but our building has been part of Belfast’s history for centuries.

We are currently located on the corner of Hill Street and Waring Street.

Hill Street was formally known as Foundary Lane up to 1790.

Waring Street lead up to the original Lime Kiln Quay where the Farset River flowed into… 

Our building has many stories to tell and if the walls could talk it would be worth listening to them…

1806/1807

  • No. 26 & 28 – Dwelling Houses

1842/1843

  • No. 26 –     Jas Nicholl – Gunmaker & Bird & Animal Stuffer

    No.28 –     G.K Smith Solictor/Charles Duffin & co. Ship & Insurance/James Grimshaw Office (Grimshaw’s were the first people to spin cotton in Ireland).

1846

  • No. 26 –     A. Matthews – Hat Manufacturer

1861

  • No. 26     Vacant

    No. 28     Charles & Adam Duffin – Flax Spinner

1870

  • No. 26  Vacant

    No.28 – Charles Duffin

1892 – 1964

  • No. 26 – Waring Street Postal Telegraph Office

    Offices Above  Belfast Warehouse Company

1964

  • Conlan Family – A1 Bar

1999

  • Pott House

2010

  • 21 Social

2017

  • The Downey Group acquired the premises

    21 Social
    The Thirsty Goat